Backyard entertainment tips for summer fun
Picture your favorite place to be at your house. Where are you?
I’m in my backyard, and I suspect I’m not alone.
According to AVID Ratings Co.’s annual home-buyer preference survey – outdoor entertaining is a high priority. Seventy-five percent of respondents said an outdoor entertainment area is a must-have. Outdoor spaces are popular for great reason in typical times – but they’re especially important when we are spending so much time at home these days.
We have put together a collection of affordable, elegant, and easy to implement tips to elevate your space, whether you are hanging out back on your own or hosting a crowd.
Backyard Entertainment Tips
Plant Lemongrass to be Bug-Free
First and foremost, tackle the concern of pesky insects to ensure a comfortable, enjoyable experience outside. Lemongrass naturally contains citronella, which repels mosquitos. It fairs well planted in both pots and the ground and needs a good amount of sunlight. Plus, lemongrass is multi-functional! Lemongrass is fragrant and will bring heightened flavor to soups, salad dressings, chicken, seafood, and pork recipes. Find out more about the successful planting of lemongrass here.
(Psst…Read more about backyard container vegetable gardening.)
Add Some Twinkle to Your Night
You can pick up solar-powered lights at nearly every retailer. Choose a solar lantern and have zero preparation – or get crafty with it.
For simple options, it can be as straightforward as putting a solar light as a table centerpiece. Many come in a mason jar or lantern designs. Since these have a built-in hanging capability, you can purchase plant brackets to affix to fencing, or standalone plant hooks to hang around your entertainment area.
Re-purposing an old chandelier fixture adds whimsy to your backyard if your style is a bit more shabby-chic. This option will take some time, but the wow factor will reward your effort with rave reviews from friends. Follow these steps to make a solar chandelier yourself.
Chandeliers can also look exquisite with candlelight. While this won’t stand up to every element of nature, using glass votives will shield the flame from the breeze. Another showstopping option is to surround a pillar in a glass jar. Add your personal touch with glass pebbles or Himalayan salt rocks.
Lastly, for lighting, pick up some glow in the dark paint to illuminate anything from rocks and pavers to planters and pots.
Host with the Most
Now let’s add those finishing details to make all your soirées unforgettable.
- Eat your centerpiece. While this might sound odd, edible displays are an attractive and functional focal point for guests to munch and chat around. All you need to do is grab glass containers in a variety of sizes, then chop crisp, colorful veggies for a healthy yet beautiful arrangement.
- Giftwrap table runner. There’s nothing wrong with the vinyl tablecloth décor so popular from the past. They are cheap yet durable. However, there’s a limit on design choices. Most stores offer solids and a few seasonal designs. Giftwrap designs provide more variety and a higher likelihood of meeting your fabulous style. You can add glamour to your outdoor table by running a strip of wrapping paper down the middle without the fear of it getting messy because of the small cost. If you don’t want the rest of your table exposed, try kraft paper underneath for full coverage.
- Soft succulents. Offset the exotic lush of succulents with cool pebbles, glowing candlelight, and rustic pottery to make a stunning bargain centerpiece.
Outdoor Beverage Service
- What should I put it on?
- What should I serve?
- Let them make their own. Put all the accoutrément in an attractive tray on your chosen table from above. Vodka, whiskey, tequila, tonic, soda, juice, and garnishes will make your bar a hit – no recipe necessary, but you can also try these tasty summertime pleasers:
- Any extra touches?
- Glad you asked! Freeze blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries to act as ice without watering down your dazzling drinks.
- Any premade drink recipes can be placed in attractive jars for easy pickup and protection from insects.
- If you have outdoor games or dancing at your party, consider drink holder stakes for hands-free festivities.
- Need grilling tips or cookout recipe ideas? Look no further than our summer grilling article.
A fair warning, these simple additions might cause a problem. Friends and family are likely to want to spend a little too much time in your outdoor entertainment area. We hope you’re ready for the popularity to come and the many gushes of household guests. And let us know in the comments if you have any backyard entertainment favorites!
About the Judi Wright Team
Judi Wright/The Judi Wright Team is a real estate group specializing in the suburbs of Frisco, Plano, and surrounding areas. Named the “Best Realtor in Dallas,” by D Magazine thirteen times and a Five Star Realtor with Texas Monthly eight times. Judi is also a Company-Wide Top Performer with Ebby Halliday, a Berkshire Hathaway affiliate.