Quick and easy home projects to keep busy during the COVID-19 quarantine – and get your home in tip-top shape.
Time to Rethink Spring Plans
COVID-19 sure put a dent in our plans this spring. Instead of hunting for Easter Eggs, we’re hunting for toilet paper and hand sanitizer. And practicing social distancing has taken the place of happy hour, outdoor concerts, and sporting events.
But, there’s a bright side to the situation. If you are tired of binge-watching Friends and Outlander, or need a break from all those walks outdoors – this is the perfect time to knock out a few of those home projects you’ve been putting off.
Quick & Easy Home Projects while Quarantined
Having your plans change can be frustrating. Especially when you don’t feel like you have any control over the situation. But conquering some of those spring home projects can be therapeutic in so many ways.
To get started, we polled around the office (virtually, of course) to come up with a list of things most of us need to tackle at some point. Plus, we pulled previous popular articles, so you’d have everything need at your fingertips.
Quarantine Home Project List
1) Declutter your space
Always at the top of the list, spring is a great time to get rid of the clutter around your home. Start with one room at a time and spread things out so you can have a few accomplishments each day. And it’s great to get your kids involved also.
- Clean out closets, cabinets, and pantries
- Organize drawers and underneath sinks
- Clean out toy boxes and game rooms, donate items to your favorite charity
- Declutter your garage – check out this article on decluttering your garage to help make this chore a little easier
- Organize your kitchen- need more space in your kitchen? Try these kitchen storage hacks to free up some space.
Want more helpful decluttering tips? Check out this Easy Guide to Decluttering Your Digs.
2) Spring clean your home interior
After you’ve gotten rid of the extra stuff, now it’s time to make everything sparkle. Here are a few light cleaning tasks that can make a big difference – and make your home feel more inviting for the quarantine days to come.ere’
- Clean off light fixtures, light plates, electrical outlets, and ceiling fans
- Wipe down smudges on walls, doors, and baseboards – Hint: Mr. Clean Magic Erasers are fantastic for this task.
- Re-organize the linen closet
- Deep clean appliances
- Clean out the spare bedroom – Hey, maybe you’ll be able to have guests over soon.
- Change batteries in your smoke detectors
- Change HVAC filters
Sidebar: Running low on cleaning supplies during the quarantine?
For a DIY version of disinfectant, try combining one cup of water with one cup of rubbing alcohol, or mix with about 20 drops of essential oil such as lavender, tea tree, or lemongrass oil for their antibacterial properties. Pour the solution into a clean spray bottle and label the container.
To make disinfectant wipes, add two tablespoons of bleach with two cups of water. Then, cut a roll of paper towels in half (across the long width) and insert it into an airtight container with the cut side facing up. Pour the bleach-water solution over the half roll of paper towels and remove the inner cardboard core. Reach into the middle of the roll and pull the edge of the paper towel up to dispense towels just like a roll of commercial wipes. Voila! (Note: The CDC recommends you make bleach wipes fresh daily or when needed as diluted bleach components break down after 24 hours.)
3) Take spring cleaning outside
For the sunny days ahead, take your therapeutic cleaning to the great outdoors with this list of projects that will help you soak up some vitamin D while on quarantine.
- Clean off patios and decks, sweep off debris, clean & Scotchguard outdoor cushions
- Deep clean the grill
- Clean gutters- While some prefer to do this in the fall, it sure doesn’t hurt to clear the junk from the winter storms and buildup that has accumulated. Check out this gutter cleaning article for tips.
- Get your lawn ready – Read this detailed checklist for everything you need for a beautiful, weed-free yard.
4) Optimize for a more enjoyable homestay
Looking for more simple projects while on quarantine? Here are a few more helpful articles on ways to optimize your space and make staying at home more enjoyable.
- Make your home smarter – check out this article for tips to turn your home into a smart home
- Save money while you quarantine binge-watch your favorite shows, here’s a step-by-step guide to cutting cable
- Protect your home with a whole house surge protector or home warranty plan
If you need additional tools or supplies for home projects while on quarantine, don’t worry – the hardware and big-box stores are still open during the stay-at-home quarantine. Check out Frisco’s list of Essential Businesses that are allowed to stay open during to help meet your service and supply needs.
We hope we inspired you a little with these home projects to keep you busy during the Covid-19 quarantine, and we hope you stay safe and happy in your home. If you have any questions about the projects above, or just researching real estate during your time at home – give us a call at 469-634-0932.
About the Judi Wright Team
Judi Wright/The Judi Wright Team is a real estate group specializing in the suburbs of Frisco, Plano, and surrounding areas. Named the “Best Realtor in Dallas,” by D Magazine thirteen times and a Five Star Realtor with Texas Monthly eight times. Judi is also a Company-Wide Top Performer with Ebby Halliday, a Berkshire Hathaway affiliate.